Have you taken one of these Highly Sensitive Person tests and discovered you’re an HSP? That’s the first step towards an exciting journey of self-discovery and transformation as a Highly Sensitive Person.
Or as we like to call it – the journey from struggling to thriving as an HSP.
And because the journey isn’t simple, we have compiled 50 Highly Sensitive Person quotes to inspire and motivate you. Some of these quotes are specific to people with the HSP trait, while the others are relatable quotes you will love.
Are you ready to explore the list? Let’s dive in!
52 Highly Sensitive Person Quotes to Inspire & Motivate You
Since 52 items can be overwhelming to navigate, we will classify them under different categories. We will feature them based on the person quoted and then have general sections for simply-relatable quotes.
Highly Sensitive Person Quotes by Dr. Elaine N. Aron
Dr. Elaine N. Aron is the pioneer of the Highly Sensitive Person trait. Her extensive research on HSPs is why many people are now sharing their Highly Sensitive experiences. So it’s only fair that her quotes about HSPs begin this list.
It’s also worth noting that these quotes are from her bestselling book on the HSP trait, The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You.
1. “Sensory Processing Sensitivity (SPS, HSP, or Highly Sensitive Person) is not a condition, a disorder, or a diagnosis. It is a neutral trait that evolved in 20% of the human population and many non-human species.”
2. “HSPs tend to fill that advisor role. We are the writers, historians, philosophers, judges, artists, researchers, theologians, therapists, teachers, parents, and plain conscientious citizens.”
3. “Because HSPs prefer to look before entering new situations, they are often called “shy”. But shyness is learned, not innate.”
4. “To perform our role well, we have to feel very good about ourselves. We have to ignore all the messages from the warriors that we are not as good as they are. The warriors have their bold style, which has its value. But we, too, have our style and our own important contribution to make.”
5. “As adults, HSPs tend to have just the right personalities for inner work and healing.”
6. “When Highly Sensitive People are in love, they will demand more depth in relationships in order to be satisfied.”
7. “You were born to be among the advisors and thinkers, the spiritual and moral leaders for your society. There is every reason for pride.”
8. “Unless HSPs have had many bad experiences so that they see danger everywhere, they are no more prone to anxiety than non-HSPs.”
Want a Simple Way to Understand the Highly Sensitive Person?
Highly Sensitive Person Quotes by Julie Bjelland
Julie Bjelland is a psychotherapist specializing in the Highly Sensitive Person trait. And over the years, Julie has created numerous resources for Highly Sensitive People.
This section explores Highly Sensitive Person quotes by Julie Bjelland.
9. “As a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP), your brain is like a supercomputer with an extra sixth sense. This offers some wonderful strengths, but also often causes feelings of being overwhelmed and depleted.”
10. “When an HSP has the right tools to lower sensory overload, life can drastically improve.”
11. “Sensitive people are like orchids – with the right conditions, we can bloom brilliantly.”
12. “Learning how to give yourself what you needed as a child can be a powerful healing practice that can transform your life.”
13. “One of the things that I’ve become aware of working with HSPs all over the world is that so many of us grew up being told that how we experienced the world was wrong.“
Highly Sensitive Person Quotes by Susan Cain
Research indicates that 70% of Highly Sensitive Persons (HSPs) are introverts. And 30% are extroverts. This section caters for the 70% of HSPs that are also introverts.
We hope these Highly Sensitive Person quotes by Susan Cain will help you in your journey as an introverted HSP.
And if you don’t already know, Susan Cain is the bestselling author of Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking and Bitter Sweet: How Sorrow and Longing Make Us Whole.
14. “The secret to life is to put yourself in the right lighting. For some, it’s a Broadway spotlight; for others, a lamplit desk.”
15. “The highly sensitive [introverted] tend to be philosophical or spiritual in their orientation, rather than materialistic or hedonistic. They dislike small talk. They often describe themselves as creative or intuitive. They dream vividly, and can often recall their dreams the next day. They love music, nature, art, and physical beauty. They feel exceptionally-strong emotions – sometimes acute bouts of joy, but also sorrow, melancholy, and fear.”
16. “If you like to do things in a slow and steady way, don’t let others make you feel as if you have to race. If you enjoy depth, don’t force yourself to seek breadth. If you prefer single-tasking to multi-tasking, stick to your guns. Being relatively unmoved by rewards gives you the incalculable power to go your own way.”
17. “Shyness is the fear of social disapproval or humiliation, while introversion is a preference for environments that are not overstimulating. Shyness is inherently painful; introversion is not.”
Sensitive People Quotes by Shannon L Alder
Shannon L. Alder is an inspirational Author, Life Coach, and Therapist.
Below, explore Highly Sensitive Person quotes by Shannon L. Alder.
18. “Sensitive people are the most genuine and honest people you will ever meet. There is nothing they won’t tell you about themselves if they trust your kindness. However, the moment you betray, reject, or devalue them, they become the worse type of person.”
19. “Sensitive people care when the world doesn’t because we understand waiting to be rescued and no one shows up. We have rescued ourselves so many times that we have become self-taught in the art of compassion for those forgotten.”
20. “Sensitive people feel so deeply they often have to retreat from the world, in order to dig beneath the layers of pain to find their faith and courage.”
Empath-Related Highly Sensitive Person Quotes by Judith Orloff
There is a saying about empaths and Highly Sensitive People you may (or may not) have heard. And it goes something like this: All empaths are Highly Sensitive People. But not all Highly Sensitive People are empaths.
So in this section, find Highly Sensitive Person quotes meant for empaths. Because all empaths are HSPs, and if you are one, you might find these quotes relatable.
They are all by Judith Orloff – author of the bestselling book, The Empath’s Survival Guide: Life Strategies for Sensitive People.
21. “Though there is a spectrum of sensitivity that exists in human beings, empaths are emotional sponges who absorb both the stress and joy of the world. We feel everything, often to an extreme, and have a little guard up between others and ourselves. As a result, we are often overwhelmed by excessive stimulation and are prone to exhaustion and sensory overload.”
22. “Energy doesn’t lie. Keep sensing it, trusting it, letting it liberate you.”
23. “Empaths are incredible listeners but often make the mistake of tolerating chronic talkers for too long. Then we become exhausted. To protect ourselves, empaths must address our tendency to people please.”
24. “EMPATH AFFIRMATION: I vow to honour my sensitivities and treat myself lovingly as I explore what it means to be an empath and embrace my gifts. I will appreciate myself every day.”
25. “Empaths may unknowingly get involved with toxic partners and become anxious, depressed, or ill. They give their hearts too easily to narcissists and other unavailable people. Empaths are loving and expect others to be that way, which doesn’t always happen.”
26. “I don’t care how intelligent or attractive someone is, if he zaps your energy, he isn’t for you. True chemistry is more than intellectual compatibility. Beyond surfaces, you must be intuitively at ease.”
Highly Sensitive Person Quotes Proving You Are Not Alone
27. “I’m a Highly Sensitive Person. I’m not built for pop star life. To have a public-facing existence is something I find really intense.” – Lorde
28. “I’m extremely-extremely sensitive. I can cry at the drop of a hat … Anything upsets me. I cry all the time. I cry when I’m happy too.” – Mandy Moore
29. “Sometimes I wish I were an unfeeling stone who didn’t take everything so personally and didn’t need so much space all the time.” – Scott Stabile
30. “Being sensitive is a gift that fosters peace. Help create a kinder, gentler world by embracing it.” – Amy Leigh Mercree
31. “Sensitive people suffer more, but they love more and dream more.” – Augusto Cury
32. “Never apologize for being sensitive or emotional. Let this be a sign that you’ve got a big heart and aren’t afraid to let others see it.” – Brigitte Nicole
33. “I feel, not in the ways they feel, but in the ways that I feel. All at once and wrapped around completely.” — C. Joybell C.
34. “Sensitive people like a slower pace of life. We like pondering all our options before making a decision and regularly reflecting on our experiences.” – Jenn Granneman
35. “You cannot make everyone think and feel as deeply as you do. This is your tragedy; because you understand them but they do not understand you.” – Daniel Saint
36. “Call me sensitive, call me weak, call me outdated, call me anything you may, but tell me the truth, can you deny emotions give life to life.” – Drishti Bablani
37. “To the girls who get called sensitive too often, don’t let the bitter in heart stop you from feeling everything deeply. To feel is to experience life fully.” – Sarah Ashley
38. “Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears.” – Edgar Allan Poe
39. “If you’re creative and open to new ideas, but your emotions often change without warning, there’s a good chance you would test as high in sensitivity.” – Michael Pluess.
Feel-Good Quotes for the Highly Sensitive Person
40. “There are always people who are inspired by you, just because you are who you are.”– Cindy Timmers
41. “Those who are at times described as being a “hot mess” or having “too many issues”, are the very fabric of what keeps the dream alive for a more caring, humane world.” – Anthon St. Maarten
42. “I make a point to appreciate the little things in my life. I go out and smell the air after a good, hard rain. These small actions help remind me that there are so many great, glorious pieces of good in the world.” – Dolly Parton
43. “The only person who can pull me down is myself, and I’m not going to let myself pull me down anymore.” – C.Joybell C
44. “You don’t have to be positive all the time. It’s perfectly okay to feel sad, angry, annoyed, frustrated, scared, and anxious. Having feelings doesn’t make you a negative person. It makes you human.” – Lori Deschene
45. “Choose to let go. Choose dignity. Choose to forgive yourself. Choose to forgive others. Choose to see your value. Choose to show the world you’re not a victim.” – Shannon L. Alder
46. “It was hard enough to own being a Highly Sensitive Person, words that had research backing them. But this empath thing, this was taking it even a step further.” – Ritu Kaushal
47. “I never wanted to be alone, but I always opted for loneliness. I am an emotional, sensitive, and expressive creature. I cannot detach my feelings, never could I control.” – M.F. Moonzajer
48. “I make the best decisions with my feelings and not from making pros and cons lists.” – Marya Choby
49. “It’s a difficult thing having a heart made of glass; people don’t seem to realize how easily it shatters.” – Richelle E. Goodrich
50. “We all take different paths in life, but no matter where we go, we take a little of each other everywhere.” – Tim McGraw
51. “Blocking our feelings and pretending they aren’t there doesn’t mean they don’t exist.” – Yong Kang Chan
52. “Sometimes I need to go off on my own. I’m not sad. I’m not angry. I’m recharging my batteries.” — Kristen Butler
Final Word on Highly Sensitive Person Quotes
These Highly Sensitive Person quotes are a few of the inspirational and motivational quotes we find relatable to HSPs. And as we mentioned, some are specific to Highly Sensitive People, while others are more general but related.
Do you have a favourite quote about the Highly Sensitive Person? We would love to add it to this list of Highly Sensitive Person quotes.
So leave a comment below or email us via our contact page.
Want a Simple Way to Understand the Highly Sensitive Person?