You can’t talk about the trait of high sensitivity without talking about Dr. Elaine N. Aron. They go hand in hand as she’s the pioneer of the trait.
Which, by the way, is scientifically referred to as Sensory Processing Sensitivity.
Dr. Aron began studying the trait of high sensitivity in 1991 after realizing she was a little different. She always felt and seemed more sensitive than others and wanted to understand the reason why.
What she discovered was that she was highly sensitive, and there were other people like her.
So she coined the term Highly Sensitive Person (HSP) and went ahead to write a book about it. Because people were asking too many questions and a self-help book filled with scientific research about the trait could provide answers.
The book has become a big hit worldwide, selling millions of copies and has been translated into 32 languages!
So when you’re feeling alone as an HSP, may this be a constant reminder that you aren’t.
HSP Resources by Dr. Elaine N. Aron
As with any resources available online, Dr. Elaine Aron provides both free and paid options. Please find the list of resources below.
Free Resources by Dr. Elaine Aron
How do you know you are a highly sensitive person? You take a test! Just as you take one at the doctor’s when you’re feeling unwell.
And Dr. Aron provides 3 different self-tests: one for adults, one for children, and another for high sensation seekers.
- Are You Highly Sensitive? – This self-test comes with 27 statements and you’re supposed to check a box or leave it unchecked, depending on the way you personally feel. After which, you’re going to receive your score and an explanation of what it means.
- Is your child highly sensitive? – This self-test is for parents who would like to test their kids and find out if they are highly sensitive. It requires the parent to check boxes for statements that are true or moderately true for a child, either in the present or in the past.
- High Sensation Seeking Test – This self-test is for HSPs that feel they might also be high sensation seekers. HSPs who are always in search of an adventure, despite their innate inhibition system.
2. Comfort Zone – the Blog
Now and then Dr. Elaine Aron will publish a blog post on a topic of her choosing or invite a guest to write a post. And while the blog isn’t as sequential as most blogs are, it remains an important resource attracting comments from HSPs around the world.
Paid Resources by Dr. Elaine N. Aron
Since publishing her first book on high sensitivity – The Highly Sensitive Person, Dr. Aron has gone on to publish a series of books for different audiences. These books include:
- Psychotherapy and the Highly Sensitive Person – This book is written for professionals in the field of therapy, to help them understand the highly sensitive trait in relation to traits such as introversion and inhibition.
- The Highly Sensitive Parent – This book is for parents who happen to be highly sensitive. For parents who go through intense emotions and suffer enigmatic stress as a result.
- The Highly Sensitive Child – This book explores the unique challenges highly sensitive children face, and goes on to show how wrong parenting can turn otherwise creative and conscientious children into timid and fearful individuals.
- The Highly Sensitive Person in Love – This book is based on the fact that, 50% of the time, genetic temperament is the reason people get a divorce. It offers practical advice on how to manage and understand relationships when the world overwhelms you.
- The Highly Sensitive Person Workbook – With a collection of exercises and activities for both individuals and groups, this workbook will help you identify the HSP trait in yourself, nurture the new, positive self-image you deserve, and create a fuller, richer life.
- The Undervalued Self – In this book, Dr. Aron explains that self-esteem results from having a healthy balance of love and power in our lives. You will learn to incorporate love into situations that seem to require power and deal with power struggles that mask themselves as issues of love.
- The Highly Sensitive Person – 25th Anniversary Edition – You know what’s better than the original? An updated copy of Dr. Aron’s bestselling book with additional research and explanations.
4. Films & Documentaries
- Sensitive – The Untold Story: This is a documentary based on research findings by Dr. Elaine Aron and featuring Alanis Morissette – the multi-award-winning musician and actress.
- Sensitive and in Love: This is a feature film focusing on how high sensitivity affects your relationships with loved ones. And it demonstrates how a seemingly unbearable flaw can become a gift to the world.
- Sensitive Lovers: This one is a documentary providing the science and advice woven into Sensitive and in Love. It features Dr. Elaine Aron and her husband, Dr. Arthur Aron – a researcher of love and close relationships.
In the End
The highly sensitive community will be forever grateful for Dr. Elaine N. Aron. Through her book, The Highly Sensitive Person, people called “too sensitive” and labelled “too weak” are now feeling seen.
We’re realizing that our sensitivity is a gift, not a flaw. And we’re learning to love it and leverage it one resource at a time.